Monday, August 13, 2012

Design Wall Monday

Or should I say design bed?  I don't really have a big wall at home to use for a design wall... Big picture windows on all the outside walls and closets and such, so I laid these blocks out on my bed.

I started these blocks in the mid 90's.  I'd only work on them a little here and a little there.  I didn't think my applique was 'good enough' so they would get put away.  After going to the different quilt shows I realized I was being to critical on my workmanship.  My applique is just fine and since that realization I've been teaching applique techniques to beginners.

So anyway, I found these blocks that had been put away and finished the 4th block the other day...


When I went to block it the green started to run so I soaked it over night in sythralpol.  I remember this happening on one of the other blocks, but like I said it's been since the mid 90's so the memory is not fresh!  All the green came out of the background fabric so I'm happy...


I thought I would make another block but I know longer have the same background fabric.  The fabric I cut for the setting squares is close, but just a touch darker.  I think it will be fine once it's quilted.  (I have big plans for the quilt...)

I have enough of the pink left for a small border then a larger ecru border (for more quilting!)

4 comments:

  1. Have been in a bit of a hole lately..and have just caught up on your posts - which I LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The applique quilt is fantastic can't wait to see it quilted up. I think a lot of us are too self critical, and have the same experience at shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous UFO! Glad you have found a solution to get that turned into a quilt and now can showcase your quilting talents with this piece as well. It's going to be a beauty I'm sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just graduated from a design "bed" to a design "wall." I never knew what I was missing!! Your applique looks very similar to the one on my frame now. Its taking me forever to quilt. Can't wait to see what you do with yours!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and appreciated... I love hearing from you!