Sunday, January 10, 2010

To quilt or not to quilt... NOT

This is only the 2nd time in 10 years that I decided to refuse a quilt....

Right before Christmas I was at the LQS when the shop owner gave me a quilt that a customer dropped of to be quilted. ( I don't like that... I want to meet with the customer during drop off!) Anyway, I laid it out this week to see what needed to be done. This is a vintage Grandmother's Flower Garden that I believed that she inherited...

OMG!!! I've seen some fullness, but this was just too much! So I call the customer and explained that it had some issues and that I'd like to meet with her to show her what needs to be done before this top could be quilted. Also to talk about the cost if she wanted me to do take it apart to fix the problem areas. (this is why I like to meet with a customer during the drop off...)

We met yesterday... I found out that she got the top at the Goodwill. She's not a quilter, but liked the top. After showing her the problem areas she has decided to donated it to her church group... maybe those ladies would be willing to fix it and hand quilt it for a raffle.









I do really like the magenta pathway... it's one of my favorite colors. My toenail polish matches it perfect!

4 comments:

  1. Kim, that says a lot when you decline a quilt. I've seen you work wonders with fullness. This is pretty bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the colors-but it would have been a PITA to quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brava! In the 5.5 years I've been quilting, I'm about to refuse my third quilt. Sometimes, there's just nothing we can do.

    ReplyDelete