Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On the machine part 2...

With the use of black thread also means black bobbin thread.  If I use black thread on the front and light blue thread on the back we run the chance of getting light blue dots (better known as pokies) in the stitching that will show on the front.  The same goes for the back, black dots of thread that show in the stitching on the back.  No matter how balanced the thread tension is (in my experience) you get dots when the bobbin thread doesn't match the top thread...





Since my customer was concerned about high contrast of thread on the front, I'm having a horrible feeling that she may not like it on the back either....  I've e-mail her pix and some other options, such as a busy back that will hide the stitching.  I personally like the high contrast on the back so the quilting really shows, but it's not my quilt.  It's important to me that my customer is happy with the end result!

To answer a few questions from my previous post...
Favorite batting?  I'm not really sure that I have one, but I do mainly use batting from the The Warm Co.  The main reason I use their batting is that it's made here.  It's only a 15 minute drive to their factory for me to pick it up... and that's a real plus for me.  This means I don't have to pay shipping and I don't have to charge my customers any extra for batting.  I think there is pluses and minuses with any batting that is available.

I like Warm & White....  pluses, it's really stable and there is no stretching.  (which I find true for all their batting)  Once quilted, your quilt is really warm and cozy!  Minuses, it's really flat with not much loft.  Hundred percent cotton shrinks.  This can be good when you want an antique look...  It can be pre-shrunk which makes it softer and loftier, but it's time consuming.

I have used Warm Blend & Warm Bond.  I was hoping that one or the other would be more like Hobbs 80/20.  They are both really nice battings but are still flat with not much loft.  I like the Warm Bond because it is heat bonded and not needle punched, which means less bearding...

I just picked up a new roll of Soft & Bright, their 100% poly batting.  This is my old stand by that I always go back to.  Light weight with a nice loft, and very stable with no stretching or shrinking.

I do like Hobbs products, but I don't like the shipping cost....

Did I chalk the spine?  Yes, I like to chalk the spine when ever possible so that it doesn't get too thready.

Since this post became so long winded....  I will talk about lighting tomorrow :-)

2 comments:

  1. I like warm and white too and usually keep some on hand for any quilts that a need a white batting but even with a coupon it costs me more than the Hobbs with shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love to see what you are doing and your descriptions. The quilting is lovely and its very interesting to hear your comments on the batting. I am presently using cotton, but have just pinned a baby quilt with Matilda's own...which are the two things I have on hand.

    ReplyDelete