Tuesday, January 11, 2011

On the machine today....

Quilting black on black....  I think I'll go blind!


Looks much better once the chalk is removed!  :-)

I know a lot of you out there really like Quilter's Dream batting, but I find it quite stretchy and most difficult to work with.


Just look at how ruffly the edge is...  and I was extremely careful while handling the batting not to stretch it.  I smooth and pat doing everything I know to keep it flat, but it still stretches...  Anyway, I only use it if a customer brings it.  Not my favorite batting, but that's why it's nice that we have so many to choose from.  What I like may not be your favorite to work with ;-)

5 comments:

  1. So now I'm curious, what is/are your favorite batting?

    I use a lot of Hobbs 80/20. I like the little bit of loft I get and the price is reasonable which is important because I go through a lot of batting for donation quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quilting on the black looks lovely - how are you going to do the rest? Never used that batting - maybe thats a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim you made me smile reading your post---I just quilted a little runner with a gold thread and the background was a print w/gold metallic in it--I spent more time turning lights on, turning them off, craning my neck this way then that way and said several times 'I'm gonna go blind!--HA thank Goodness it was just a runner!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those leaves! I am going to work at perfecting them from your book "Just Leaf It!"

    Once I used a dark purple thread to quilt on black. It looked amazing and a couple of quilt show judges commented favorably on my choice.

    I, too, really have good luck with Hobbs 80/20.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leaves looks so pretty!! I can see where the black on black would be difficult! Did you chalk for the spine of the leaves?

    ReplyDelete